Nadan Chembu Astram is a traditional dish of Kerala. Astram is a thick preparation with Curd, Chembu and coconut. It goes well with Kanji (Rice Porridge). Let's see how we can prepare this delicious recipe
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time 25 Minutes
Recipe Category : Vegetable Gravies, Kuzhambhu
Recipe Cuisine : Kerala, South Indian
Serves : 3-4 People
Diced Chembu / Taro root 2 cups
Turmeric Powder ½ Teaspoon
Thick beaten Curd 1 cup
Red Chili Powder 1 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves few
Salt To Taste.
Grated Coconut: ¾ cup – 1 cup
Turmeric Powder: 1/2 Teaspoon
Cumin Seeds 1 Teaspoon
Water: 2 Tablespoon
Coconut Oil 2 Tablespoon
Mustard Seeds: 1 Teaspoon.
Whole Kashmiri Chili 3 Nos, broken
Curry leaves 1 string
- Wash the Chembu in running water. Peel the skin and cut into round shape.
- Put the Chembu into the big pan. Add water, Red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Boil and cook till done.
- In the meantime, grind the ingredients listed to a smooth paste with little water.
- When the Chembu is nicely cooked, put the ground mixture into it. Mix well. stir well and simmer the fire.
- Adjust water and let it simmer for 2 - 3 minutes or till everything is nicely combined.
- Add the beaten curd. Mix well. Take off from heat and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a seasoning pan , splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add this to the cooked Chembu curry.
- Serve hot with Kanji and Rice.