Kutarisi Kanji is comfort food in Kerala. It is healthy, tasty and simple. It is easily digestible hence it is recommended food during sickness or when you have a stomach upset.
Kanji is basically rice porridge, had thick or thin the way you like it. It is normally prepared with broken rice cooked in lots of water till done and seasoned with salt. In my house, Most of the Sunday Dinner, kanji happens to be my lazy meal.
Preparation Time : 5 Minutes
Cook Time : 20 Minutes
Servings : 4
Kutarisi /Matta Rice - 1 Cup
Water 4 Cups
Chopped Ginger 2 Tablespoons
Cumin Seeds ½ Teaspoon
Chopped Green Chillies 1 teaspoon
Hing Powder ¼ Teaspoon
Salt To Taste
Curry Leaves Few
- Wash the rice 2 to 3 times and drained the water.
- Combine the rice, water, and salt in a pressure cooker and cook on high flame for 5-6 whistles. Switch off and allow to cool completely.
- Open the pressure lid, and add chopped curry leaves, Hing powder and chopped Ginger, Chopped Green chillies and adjust the salt.
- If the kanji is thick, add more water as per required consistency.
- Once cooked, transfer on to serving bowls.
- Serve with Coconut Chammanthi and Pappad.