My hometown is Madurai in India. There are so many dishes that are famous in my town- particularly Kothu Parotta, Biryani, Idli etc. Kothu Parotta literally means minced Parotta. This Kothu Parotta is a very famous road side food. Here I have prepared vegetarian Kothu Parotta with more vegetables. I have used frozen Kerala type flaky Parotta to save time.
Left over Parotta 3 no
Chopped tomatoes 1 cup
Chopped Capsicum 1 cup
Grated Ginger 1 tbsp.
Bay leaves 2 no
Cumin seed ¼ tsp.
Snafu powder (Sombu) ¼ tsp. (optional)
Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
Kashmiri Chili Powder 1 tbsp.
Pepper powder ¼ tsp
Pav bhaji Masala ½ tsp
Silted Green chilies 4 no (Adjust the spicy level according to the taste)
Red color 1/8 tsp.
Oil 2 tbsp.
Salt to taste
Chopped Cilantro 2 tbsp.
- Microwave the Parotta for 30 seconds, and then cut or tear it into small pieces.
- Heat the large wok, add oil and season with cumin seed, bay leaves.
- Saute the green chilies, ginger in it.
- Now add capsicum, and tomatoes. Fry for few second then add all masala powders and color.
- Fry them in a medium heat, till raw smell goes out.
- Now add the shredded Parotta, and salt, toss to coat the masala.
- Stir all the ingredients continuously for 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with a squeeze of lime .
- Pachadi/Raitha can be served as side dish to this.
TIP: Instead of parotta, you can use left over chapattis.