Vegetable Biryani is a spicy rice dish with vegetables. Biryani are a contribution of the Mughals and that has been adapted by Indians. This is a simple version of Vegetable Biryani which is served along with Raitha.The saffron aroma makes this dish very inviting. For a quick lunch or to serve your guests in a short notice, this is one of the best dishes. Hope you will enjoy this dish. Here you go…
Basmati rice 1 and 1/2 cups
Vegetables 2 cups (carrot, beans, peas, potato, cauliflower)
Coconut milk 2 cups
Water - ¼ to ½ cup
Tomato – 2 no
Ginger paste – 1 tsp.
Saffron – ½ tsp (soaked in 2 tbsp. of warm milk)
Finely chopped mint leaves – 4 tbsp.
Coriander leaves – 4 tbsp
Unsalted butter 1 tablespoon
Golden raisins 2 tablespoons
Blanched, sliced almonds 2 tablespoons
Green chilies – 2 no
Butter /Ghee 2 tbsp
Salt – to taste.
Cinnamon – 1″
Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 2
Small bay leaves – 3 no
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp.
Red chili powder – ¾ tsp.
Star anise – 1no
Gram masala powder – ½ tsp.
- Soak rice for 30 minutes. Wash the rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Drain the water and set aside.
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces. Chop, tomato, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Slit open green chili. Keep aside.
- Heat a pressure with 1 tbsp. of butter/ghee. When hot, add, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and star anise.
- Add the ginger pate and all masala powders. Cook until the raw smell of the spices is gone for about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Now add green chilies, mint, coriander leaves and fry for one more minute. Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it becomes gravy.
- Heat a 1 tbsp. of butter /ghee in a pan, add bay leaves, , and fry for few seconds. Now Add the chopped vegetables leaves and fry for 3 minutes until it’s half cooked in the ghee.
- Now add the rice , swallow fry in the ghee for 3 minute . Mix them well.
- Now add the step 2 gravy in the rice and mix well, so that rice gets coated with all the masala. Turn off the stove.
- Add coconut milk, and water to the rice. Add salt and mix well.
- Transfer it to an electric cooker or pressure cooker.
- If you are using a pressure cooker, cook the rice for one whistle and then remove from heat.
- If you are using an electric cooker as soon as the light turns to warm or the rice is cooked, switch of the cooker. Let it cool.
Step : 5
- Transfer the rice into the Handi or baking vessel.
- Now sprinkle the saffron milk over the rice, 6 to 7 places. Lastly pour the melted ghee, over the rice.
- Cover and seal with aluminum foil or roti dough. Cook in the preheated oven, for ten minutes at 275°C. Reduce temperature to 225°C and cook for another ten minutes.
- Alternately keep the Handi on a tawa and cook on low heat for fifteen minutes.
- Remove from the oven; decorate with fried raisins, nuts, and fried bread cubes.
- Serve immediately with Raitha.