Kootu is a traditional south Indian side dish prepared with little oil, more dal and vegetables with less spices. There are many varieties of Kootu like Pulippu Kootu, pooricha Kootu, and pal Kootu etc.. This Kootu is the main dishes during festival seasons and marriages. This Pulippu Kootu is a nutritious wholesome food; it contains lot of vitamins and proteins. ChowChow, Brinjal, White pumpkin, green Banana can be used . You can do mix match this vegetable s and make this kootu. Here I used Cucumber only.
Chopped Cucumber 2 cups
Chick peas ¼ cup (soak overnight in water)
Tovar Dhal ¼ cup
Chenna dhal ¼ cup
Tamarind small lemon size
Grated Ginger 2 tbsp.
Curry leaves 2 stems
Grated Coconut ½ cup
Raw rice 1 tsp
Coriander seeds 1tbsp.
Black gram dhal 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves - 1 stem
Red chilies 6-8 nos
Black Pepper 1tsp
Hing (Asafetida) - ¼ tsp
Oil 2 tsp.
Coconut Oil 2 tbsp
Grated Coconut 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Red chilies 2 nos.
- Pressure cooks the Tovar dhal and chenna dhal separately. Keep aside
- Pressure cooks the Chickpeas with little salt and keeps aside.
- Fry the all masala ingredients until golden brown color. Grind them into a paste. .
- Soak the tamarind with little water and extract 1 cup of the juice from that.
- Add pumpkin pieces in the tamarind water. Add salt in it and bring to boil.
- Add the ground masala mixture, cooked dhal, and boiled chick peas to the vegetable water.
- Mix well and simmer in low heat and let it cook for few more minutes.
- Mix well remove from the fire.
- Heat the coconut oil, add all seasoning ingredients. Fry it and add it to the Kootu.
You can add Peanuts, Dry green peas or white peas.. All should be soaked for about 5 to 6 hours and cook well and add to the Kootu.