This yummy & crispy Vadai is tamilnadu`s Authentic starter. Vazhaipoo is a very healthy veggie. It is an is an excellent source of crude fiber in the human diet. Read more: http://www.penmai.com/forums/healthy-nutritive-foods/11779-vazhaipoo-health-benefits.html#ixzz2JAwsb6Cj
Bengal gram Dhal 1 cup
Medium size Vazhaipoo- 1 no.
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
Masalas: Grind coarsely
Red chilies 5-8 nos. (According to your spice level)
Curry leaves 2 stems.
Crushed fennel seeds (Sombhu) 1tbsp.
cinnamon powder a pinch
- Wash and clean the banana flower. Take off the purple outer covering and remove the bunch of florets. Separate each flower from the bunch and remove the stamen. Chop the florets and soak them in buttermilk with a pinch of salt to avoid discoloration.
- In a pan heat a water, add the chopped florets and cook for 2 minute. When the florets are cooked, drain and squeeze the florets well to remove the excess water. Keep aside.
- Soak the Chenna dhal (Bengal gram dhal) in a hot water for 1 hour. After one hour drain the water and keep 1tbsp of soaked Chenna aside.
- Grind coarsely the soaked Chenna dhal with salt, turmeric powder, Red chilies and cinnamon powder
- Add crushed fennel seeds, 2tbsp of soaked Chenna dhal, chopped curry leaves to the Chenna dhal mixture.
- Add above mixture to banana flower. Add salt according to your taste. Do not add extra water and mix everything to form thick dough.
- Make shape like vadai and deep fry in hot oil.. Then slowly turn them on both sides till a golden color is reached.
- Enjoy the crispy Vadai with your evening Tea .
- When cleaning banana flower,apply oil on both the hands to avoid sticking.