Flaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. Flax seeds are also called as Linseeds, Ali Vidai(ஆளிவிதை) in Tamil .Flaxseed has long been valued for its health benefits.
Health Benefits are:
- Helpful in reducing hot flashes, preventing breast cancer in women, and prostate cancer in men.
- Flaxseeds are helpful in reducing cardiovascular diseases, by reducing bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol, and thus protects against heart disease.
- Another important use of flax seed is that it helps in proper functioning of kidneys, lowers Blood Sugar and Blood pressure, and helps to reduce weight and also
- Flax seed builds immunity to keep good health.
- Although flaxseed contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its primary healthy reputation to three of them:
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids, "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. Each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant omega-3s.
- Lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities. Flaxseed contains 75 to 800 times more lignans than other plant foods.
- Fiber. Flaxseed contains both the soluble and insoluble types.
I have already posted idly milaghai podi in my blog. This one is with flax seed, peanuts and coconut. This powder is a good combo for idli, dosa and adai.
Chenna Dhal (Bengal gram dhal) ½ cup
Urdh dhal(Black gram dhal) ½ cup
Flaxseed ½ cup
Peanuts 2 Tbsp.
White Sesame seeds 2 Tbsp.
Desiccated coconut ¼ cup
Byadagi Red chilies 15 no. (According to your spice level)
Asafetida powder 1 Tsp.
Oil 1 Tsp.
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan and dry roast the flaxseed till the seeds splutter. Keep aside.
- The same pan, dry roast the coconut, peanuts and sesame seeds keep aside.
- Heat a little oil and fry the red chilies. Keep aside.
- Fry the other ingredients until reddish color.
- Cool the roasted ingredients with salt and grind coarsely in a mixer.
- Store it in airtight container.
- Enjoy with hot idlis , dosas and Adai
- You can add curry leaves(dry fry )to this recipe.
- You can use this powder to stuffed Brinjals and make Brinjals podi fry.