Curries have always been a special part of Indian cuisine. Kerala dishes are no exception. Theeyal is a vegetarian side dish in Kerala cuisine. I already posted Zucchini Theeyal, TomatoTheeyal in my blog. (See the link). Here is another one Theeyal “Mixed Vegetable Theeyal”. So, here we have a delicious and mouthwatering recipe of mixed vegetable Theeyal, which is sure to take your taste-buds on a delightful ride.
Tamarind gooseberry size ball
Turmeric powder ½ tsp.
Salt to taste.
Water as needed
Beetroot ½ no
Carrot 1 no
Okra 5 no.
Potato 2 no.
Green Beans 8 no
Bell pepper (capsicum) 1 no.
For roasting and grinding
Oil 1 tsp.
Grated Coconut 1 cup
Coriander Powder 2 tbsp.
Red Chili Powder 1 tbsp
Fenugreek powder ½ tsp.
Coconut oil 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Curry leaves few
Grated coconut 1 tbsp.
Dry red chilies 2 no.
- Wash and chop all vegetables lengthwise. Cook it in the microwave for 5 minutes. Shallow fry all vegetables in one minute in coconut oil. Keep aside.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes and extract juice.
- Cook all the vegetables (except okra) in little water along with little salt and turmeric until soft but not mushy.
- Heat the pan add ½ tsp of oil; fry the coconut till golden brown. Simmer and add all masalas powders and stir and fry till it gives you a good aroma. Keep aside for cooling.
- Grind everything to a smooth paste along with 1 cup water.
- Take a cooking pan and add the ground paste, cooked vegetables and fried okra along with more water and salt. Simmer on medium flame for 5 -7 minutes.
- Add the tamarind juice in it and let it boil in medium flame
- Reduce flame and allow the gravy to thicken.
- Heat a oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Then add all other tempering and fry till coconut change in brown color.
- Pour the seasoning over the Theeyal and mix gently.
- Serve hot with steam rice.