Udupi is a small town in Southern India, which is known for its culinary skills. In Udupi, lunch is incomplete without the favorite rasam .Udupi Rasam powder is very much different from the usual one we make. The recipe is simple and you can make this really in no time.
Finely chopped Big Tomato 1 no.
|Udupi Rasam Powder|
Medium chopped Tomato 1 no.
Tamarind Small ball
Turmeric powder ½ Tsp.
Udipi Rasam Powder 2 Tbsp. (See the Link)
Asafetida powder 1 Tsp
Curry leaves Few
Grated Ginger 1 Tsp.
Jaggery Powder 1 Tbsp.
Water 2 cups
Salt To Taste
Coriander Leaves For Garnish
Butter 1 Tbs
Mustard Seeds 1 Tsp
Jeera 1 Tsp
- Soak Tamarind ball in 1/2 cup warm water and extract the juice.
- In a pan add the tamarind water, salt, turmeric powder, chopped tomatoes, Grated Ginger and curry leaves.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 7 -8 minutes or till the raw smell of tamarind disappears.
- Now add the 1 ½ cup of water and rasam powder. and continue to cook on medium high for another 6-7 minutes.
- Now add Jaggery powder & medium chopped tomatoes, and adjust salt if needed.
- Switch off the flame and add fresh coriander stalks. While the rasam is simmering, prepare the tempering.
- Heat oil or ghee in a small pan, add mustard seeds and jeera.
- Once the mustard starts jumping switch off the heat and mix it to the boiled rasam.
- Place lid and allow resting for a few minutes before serving with warm rice.
- You may dry roast the grated coconut and use it for garnishing. It will give the masala, a nice aroma
|Udupi Tomato Rasam|
You may like other Udupi Recipes: