|Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambhu/ Brinjal Curry|
In my house , Brinjal is our all-time favorite vegetable. Whenever I get small Brinjals from the Indian Grocery store, I used to prepare this kuzhambhu. Baby Brinjals are fried and cooked in Tomato gravy. This is an easiest method of making Ennai Kathirikkai. If you love Brinjal, i would say u must try this Kuzhambhu, so Please give it a try and let me know how it turned out to you.
|Indian Baby Brinjals|
Kutti Kathirikkai/ Baby Brinjals 10 nos.
Tomatoes 4 nos.
Tamarind Extract 2 Tbsp.
Grated Coconut 5 Tbsp.
Red chili Powder 3 Tbsp.
Coriander Powder 3 Tbsp.
Turmeric Powder ½ Tsp.
Fennel powder ½ Tsp.
Salt To Taste.
Gingely Oil For frying the Brinjals
Gingelly oil 1 Tbsp.
Mustard seeds 1 Tsp.
Curry leaves few
Fenugreek seeds ¼ Tsp.
Asafetida powder ½ Tsp.
- Wash and chop the tomatoes.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan, add the chopped tomatoes and grated coconut and sauté for 5 minutes in a medium flame.
- Add the chili powder, coriander powder, fennel powder and turmeric powder and mix it well and sauté for 2 minutes in low flame. When it cooled down, grind it a mixer and keep aside.
- Wash Brinjals put an X mark on back side of each Brinjal and check for any worms. Also do not remove the whole stem on the top of Brinjal, just cut little bit.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan, fry the Brinjals till crispy. Keep aside.
- In a deep pan heat Gingely oil, when hot add all season with items given in the list for seasonings and fry for a minute.
- Now add the grinded masalas, Tamarind extract and salt. Bring to boil till the raw smell goes well.
- Now add the fried Brinjal and add little Gingely oil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat when gravy thickens and oil oozes on the sides of pan.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves, and serve with hot rice.
- It will stay 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- Use only baby Brinjals. Here I used Indian baby brinjals
- Sesame oil/Gingely Oil is must for this recipe, because it gives nice flavor and aroma.
My other Version of Ennai Kathrikkai kuzhambhu is here: