Azhaghar Kovil (Thirumalirum solai) temple is located in Madurai city (Tamilnadu). Azhaghar means charming and beautiful person. The other name of the perumal called as Kalazhaghar, Sundarrajan, Malirumsolai Nambi.
Azhagharkovil is very famous for authentic prasadams like Akkaravadisal and Kovil Dosai. This Dosai is deep fried in pure ghee.Well...I have given here a home-style variation of Dosa
Azhaghar Kovil Dosai:
Raw rice - 3 cups
Black gram/black urad dal (WITH SKIN) 1 cup
Black Pepper 1 tbsp
jeera 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2 stem finely chopped
Asafoetida 1 spoon
Ginger grated - 1 tbsp
Dry ginger powder - 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Ghee mixed with oil 1/4 cup
Fruit salt (ENO)- 1/4 tsp
- Soak the black urad dhal and rice speartely for 5 to 6 hours. Grind with rice and black urdh dal (with skin) into thick and coarse batter.
- Add salt, Fruit salt to this. Allow it to ferment for 5-7 hours.
- Dry Grind the pepper and jeera coarsely.
- Add pepper jeera mixture , chopped curry leaves, ginger,and Salt to the batter.
- Mix them thoroughly.
- Heat the griddle. Smear ghee and make a thick dosa and cover and cook it. Run few more spoons of ghee over it. Cook till like adai
- Serve with chunteny.