Peanuts/groundnuts are a favorite time pass for many of us. Peanut pakodas is a very popular and lip-smacking snack from South India. Masala peanuts are the delicacy of Tamilnadu. I often prepare it and serve it as snacks for tea. It’s an easy recipe and you will love it.
I invariably make them in large batches, but the challenge is not making them, it's trying not to eat them all at once! Try this with cashews or almonds too.
Raw peanuts – 2 cup
Corn flour- 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 cup
Red Chili powder – 1 tsp
Hing – ¼ tsp
Salt – to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Mix the corn flour, rice flour , red chili powder, Asafetida(Hing), peanuts and salt. Sprinkle very little water and mix well. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat.
- A small bit of batter dropped into the hot oil bubbles and rises to the top immediately. Then add the batter-coated peanuts, piece by piece (or by the handful), adding as many as the wok can hold at one time.
- Deep fry the peanuts in hot oil till they turn crispy and golden brown color.
- Repeat with the remaining peanuts. Transfer to paper towels to drain the excess oil. Let cool and store in an airtight container and serve as a snack.