Some people love pavarkkai and most do not. In my childhood days, my mom used to cook this varuval. This is my mom’s specialty recipe. When this is cooked at my home, I don’t even leave any trace in my plate. Ghee along with bitter gourd mixed with white rice really tastes good. Typically 40+ people enjoy this. Kids keep a mile distance.
Bitter gourd 2 cups
Chili powder 2 tsp
Besan( Kadalla Mavu) 1 tbsp
Rice powder 1 tsp
Lemon juice 1 tsp (removes bitterness)
Salt to taste
Hing 2 pinch
- Discard the seeds and slice the pavarkkai into thin round pieces.
- Put in the microwave and cook for 4 mins (Or you can do steam cook )
- Now mix the pavarkkai with chili powder, hing, salt ,lemon juice and besan. Keep aside for 30 mins
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the pavarkkai till it turns crispy
- Remove and stain the oil.
- Serve with rice, Sathumamuthu.