Stuffed eggplant or stuffed brinjals is a favorite of many. For this you need small size tender brinjals.
On my usual Thursday vegetable shopping spree, I came across pretty purple tiny eggplants at Indian store. I made this Karameethu on next day itself.
Tender small brinjals -20 no
Salt to taste
For stuffing powder
Coriander seeds 1/4 cup
Bengal gram / Chenna dal – 6tbsp
Urad dal – 4 tsp.
Black Pepper 1 tsps
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Dry Coconut 1/2 cup
Red Chillies - 20 no (according to spice level)
Salt to taste
Oil 1 tbsp
Curry leaves a few
Asafetida ¼ tsp
Oil 4 tbsp
Curry leaves 1 stem
Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Wash and dry the brinjals. Keep aside. Prepare the stuffing first.
- Roast all stuffing ingredients in oil. Grind them coarsely in a mixer. Now stuffing powder is ready.
- Cut the brinjals into 4 pieces (not fully-leave little stem part.)
- Simply stuff the slit brinjals with spice powders.
- Arrange them in a microwave steamer and steam for about 6 minutes.
- Remove it from microwave and. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a cast iron pan, fry all seasonings.
- Place the stuffed eggplants and cover the pan with a tight lid. Sprinkle salt.
- Cover and cook the eggplants in a low flame for about 10 - 15minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid . Again cook it for 5 more minutes.
- Throughout the15 mins, turn the eggplants every 3 or 4 minutes so all the sides get evenly cooked.
- Do this carefully without breaking the brinjals.
- When the brinjals are well cooked and soft to touch. Switch off the stove.
- Garnish with chopped curry leaves.
- Serve hot with rice, Sathuamuthu, Kozhambu.
- Use low to medium heat; not high. High heat spoils the taste.
- You can store the left over stuffing powder in an air tight container for future use.