Khaman Dhokla is one of the popular dishes in Gujarati Cuisine. These dhoklas are very soft and spongy. Adding Eno salt (fruit salt) to the batter is the main factor for the sponginess. These spongy Khaman have been infused with a sugar-lime juice solution to give it that authentic street taste.... Dhoklas can be served as breakfast, evening snack or even as an appetizer. A Dhoklas can be made with different variations. Suji Dhokla is white colored recipe made of semolina. Chawal Dhokla is made of rice powder. The most popular one is the yellow colored Besan Dhoklas made of gram flour or chickpeas.
Besan (Bengal gram flour) 1 cup
Semolina (rava) 1 1/2 tbsp.
Sugar 4 tsp.
Ginger-green chillis paste 1 tsp.
Lemon juice 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
Fruit salt (ENO Salt) 2 tsp.
Oil for greasing and cooking 3 1/2 tsp.
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Sesame seeds (til) 1 tsp.
Chopped jalapenos 2tbsp
Asafetida (hing) a pinch
curry leaves 2 to 3
Sugar – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Water -4-5 tbsp
Grated fresh Coconut 1 tbsp.
Chopped Coriander leaves 1 tbsp.
Green chutney 1 tbsp.
- Combine the besan, semolina, sugar, ginger-green chillis paste, lemon juice and salt along with little water (approximately ¾ cup) in a bowl and mix well with the help of your hand to get a smooth and thick batter.
- Keep the steamer or cooker ready on gas.
- .Add 1 tsp. of fruit salt to a portion of the batter and mix gently.
- Divide the batter into 2 equal portions and keep aside. Pour the batter immediately into a greased dish
- Steam in a steamer for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
- Repeat the steps and make one more thali of dhoklas.
- While the Khaman are cooling, prepare the solution and tadka.
- Chop the jalapenos into small pieces.
- Heat 3 tsp. of oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds. Green chillis, Jalapenos, Asafetida and curry leaves, mix well and saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Mix the sugar, lime juice in the water and stir, make sure all the sugar dissolves. Mix it into the seasoning.
- Cool slightly and cut into equal sized pieces.
- Pour this tempering over the dhoklas.
- Serve hot with decorations.