Vazhakkai /raw plantain is a regular vegetable at every Indian home., The ponthan variety of vazhakkai is usually used for this and it gives the best results.( The ponthan variety is generally used for making bajjis).. It`s a very healthy preparation ,as it basically cooks the raw bananas in water until they are half done, grates them and completes spicing it up on the kadai. Easy, healthy and of course quick. I always prepare this Podimas in Ammavasai days. Though the preparation of Podimas is simple, the taste is marvelous.
Raw Banana 3 no
Water For boiling the bananas
Coconut oil: 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves 1 stem
Finely chopped fresh ginger 2 tbsp.
Chopped Green chilies 3 no
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Asafetida ¼ tsp.
Lemon juice 2 tsp.
Chopped coriander leaves 2 tbsp
Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp.
- Cook them in enough water with salt in it. When it 3/4 cooked, take it out from water and keep it cool
- Remove skin, Grate the cooked bananas. Grate gently, so that is does not mushy.
- Heat Kadai with coconut oil. Add mustard seeds, when its crackle, add all other seasonings and fry for few seconds.
- Now add the grated banana and stir gently. Add salt and lemon juice , gently mix everything.
- Garnish with coriander and grated coconut.
- Serve hot with kuzhambhu and saathuamuthu.