This is also one of my favorite kuzhambhu .This is very famous in Madurai district. We can see the fresh pods in and around bazaars of Madurai, Tuticorin and Thirunelveli , during the summer season.
You can add more vegetables to make this kuzhambhu. This Kuzhambhu is a spicy and tangy gravy served with hot rice.
Dry mocha Kottai (field beans) 1cup
Tomatoes 1 no
Grated ginger 1 tbsp.
Tamarind small lemon size
Kuzhambhu Powder 2btsp.
Turmeric Powder ½ tsp.
Salt to taste.
Coconut oil 1tsp.
Mustard seeds ½ tsp.
Curry leaves 1 stem
Hing ¼ tsp.
- Soak the Mochai bean overnight and pressure cook it with enough water and add 1 tsp of salt for 2 whistles or til the bean become soft. Keep aside.
- Wash & Chop all vegetables. Keep aside.
- Soak tamarind and extract the juice. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan, and temper the mustard seed, chilies & hing.Once the seeds splutter add the chopped vegetables, tomatoes, ginger and curry leaves.
- Fry it for few minutes; now add kuzhambhu powder, turmeric powder. Fry It for 1 minute in low heat.
- Now add the cooked Mochai Kottai, and mix it very well.
- Now add the tamarind juice, curry leaves. Let the kuzhambhu to boil till the raw smell goes. Cook till the vegetables become tender.
- Once the kuzhambhu become thick and the bean aroma comes, switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with rice.