This North Indian curry made with mutter ( Green peas) and Paneer is probably the most frequently ordered dish in Indian restaurants. Every home cook will have their own version for this gravy with few minor changes. My recipe is very simple and you can make this very easily.
Frozen Peas (or) Fresh Green Peas - 1 cup
Paneer (diced) - 1 cup
Grated carrot - 2 tbsp.
Organic tomato sauce – ½ cup
Diced tomatoes - 1no
Green chilies (diced) - 2 no
Ginger paste - 1 tbsp.
Broken Cinnamon stick - 1 no
Bay leaves - 1no.
Big cardamom – 1no
Kashmiri chili powder – 1 1/2 tsp.
Coriander powder – 1tsp.
Pav bhaji masala powder - 1tsp.
Cooking Oil - 2tbsp.
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Salt to taste
Heavy cream - 3 tbsp.
Chopped Coriander leaves – for garnishing.
- Heat oil in a pan and gently stir-fry the cubes of Paneer till golden. Remove onto a paper towel and keep aside.
- In the same oil crackle the bay leaf and cinnamon &, cardamom pieces.
- Now add ginger paste, green chilies and tomato pieces and fry for few second. Then add all masala powders and tomato sauce.
- Let it fry, stirring continuously till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Pour in a glass of water; add the peas, grated carrot. Cover and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the Paneer, water and salt, reduce flame to a simmer and cook till the gravy thickens.
- When the gravy is as thick, turn off the flame and stir in the cream.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, cream and serve hot.
- Mutter Paneer tastes great with naans, parathas, and fried rice.