Rajasthan is not only famous for its art and crafts but also famous for its rich tasty dishes and exotic flavors. This Kadhi is one of the famous dishes from rajasthani cuisine. This dish involves steamed gram flour dumplings dunked into a yogurt based curry. This mouth-watering recipe that will complement both rice and parathas. Make delicious Rajasthani Gatte Ki Kadhi using this simple recipe from my Madappalli.
Besan (gram flour) 3/4 cup-1cup
Ajwain (omam) 1/8 tsp.
Red chili powder 1 tsp.
Fennel seed powder 2 pinches
Oil for frying
Salt to taste
Water for cooking the Gatte
Chopped coriander 1tbsp.
For The Kadhi
Plain thick yogurt (Curd) 1 cup
Turmeric powder 1/4tsp
Curry leaves 1 stem
Grated ginger ½ tsp.
Water 2 1/2 – 3 cup
Jeera ½ tsp.
Whole red chilies 2no
Broken cinnamon stick 1 no (small)
Chopped coriander leaves few
For the gatta
- Mix all the stuff for the Gatte and knead firm dough by adding very little water. The dough should not be too soft and not as hard.
- Divide dough into equal portions and shape into long not to thin cylindrical roll.
- Boil the water in a broad pan, add the rolls to the boiling water and cook them till they float on top.
- Drain and cool it 10 minutes. After ten minutes, take the roll and cut each into ½” pieces.
- Deep fry the pieces (if you want to make it authentic, then it should be fried in ghee). For the health reasons, here I fried into the cooking oil. Keep aside.
For the Kadhi
- Combine the curds, Besan, curry leaves and in a bowl and whisk well. No lump should there.
- Heat ghee in a kadai; add all seasonings, sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger to it and sauté for 5 seconds.
- Add whisked curd, and water, Salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower the flame, add gattas and cook for 10 minutes, stirring continuously.
- The gattas will soak up more and more water as they sit in the Kadhi.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Now Kadhi is ready to serve.
- This Kadhi is a complement both rice and parathas.
- If the Kadhi is thick, add more water, you can do that at a later stage.