Thoran is a Kerala-style stir fry dish loaded with grated coconut and veggies of your choice. Any Kerala Sadya(feast) is incomplete without Thoran. Cabbage Thoran the main side dish in Kerala cuisine/Kerala Sadya.
Small cabbage 1 no.
Chopped carrot ¼ cup
Fresh Green Peas ¼ cup
Grated ginger 1 tbsp.
Salt As required
Shredded coconut ½ cup
Cummin seed (jeera) ½ tsp
Green chilies 4 no.
Coconut Oil 1 tbsp.
Mustard seeds ½ tsp.
Hing ¼ tsp.
Curry Leaves few
- Wash cabbage before chopped otherwise the water content will be very high and also it will be cooked immediately after chopped it otherwise the crispness of cabbage will be ruined.
- Grind corasely coconut, cumin seed, green chilies together. Keep aside.
- Take a non stick pan , heat oil and add the mustard and splutter it.
- Add the shredded cabbage , carrot, peas, and ginger with salt.
- Saute for 3 minutes in the low heat, when the veggies are cooked, add the grounded coconut mixture and mix everything together.
- Cook on low flame, stirring occasionally.
- After 3 -5 mintues , the veggies are cooked, turn of the heat.
- Now thoran is ready to serve.
- Serve with rice,Kuzhambhu, Sathuamuthu.
- You can prepare Thoran using any veggie like cabbage, carrot, beetroot, beans, ivy gourd or a combination of vegetables.