Chakka Pradhaman is a traditional Payasam (pudding) of Kerala, India. The main ingredients of Chakka Pradhaman are Jack fruit and jaggery. Chakka varatti/jack fruit jam or jack fruit pulps cooked in coconut milk and then sweetened with jaggery.
I wanted to prepare this Pradhaman with fresh jack fruit , but I could not find any ripe jack fruit in Indian store, so I used canned jack fruit for this Payasam.
Canned jack fruit 2 tins
Jaggery 1 1/2 cups (use it according to your sweet preference)
Low fat Coconut milk tin 1 ½ tin
Dry ginger powder(Chukku) 1 tsp.
Coconut pieces ¼ cup
Fresh Cardamom powder 1 tsp.
Ghee 2 tbsp.
- Cut the jack fruit into small pieces. Shallow fry the pieces into 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- Cook it with thin coconut milk(Mix 1/2 tin coconut milk with 1/2 cup water) around 15 minutes or till they became soft. When the jack fruit is fully cooked, slightly mashed it using a potato masher.
- Meanwhile make jaggery syrup, adding ¼ cup of water to the jaggery and cook it in a low flame. When the jaggery is fully melted and strains it to remove dust particles.
- Add the jaggery syrup to the cooked jack fruit and cook till all water is evaporated.
- Now add the ½ tin of coconut milk diluted with very little water and let it come to nice boil. Add dry ginger powder & cardamon powder in it.Reduce the stove heat to very low
- When it reaches thick consistency, add the thick coconut milk and mix it and bring to boil and remove from fire.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry coconut slices till they become light brown in color and to the Pradhaman.
- Finally pour 1 tbsp. of ghee in to Pradhaman
- Chakka Pradhaman is ready to serve hot or cold anyway you like it.