Cracked wheat is made by cutting or crushing whole raw wheat berries (kernels) into small pieces. Because it contains wheat bran and wheat germ, cracked wheat is an excellent source of fiber.
This is one of the Traditional Kerala Specialty. This is an easy and healthy sweet dish. Easy to make and a real treat for your taste buds!. Enjoy.
Broken Wheat 1 cup
Water 3 cup
Milk 1 cup
Medium coconut milk 1 cup
Thick coconut milk 1 cup
Jaggery (powdered) 2 cup
Dry ginger powder 1/2tsp.
Crushed Cardamom 2tbsp.
Coconut pieces 1tbsp.
- Wash the broken wheat thoroughly for 4-5 times.
- Pressure cooks the cleaned broken wheat with 3 cups of water & 1 cup of milk.
- I cooked it on six whistles on medium heat. Allow it to cool. The wheat should be thoroughly cooked and almost mashed.
- Meanwhile melt the jaggery with ½ cup water. Keep on stirring continuously until the jaggery has melted. Strain the melted jaggery.
- Combine the melted jaggery & cooked wheat.
- Add 1 tbsp. of ghee, crushed cardamoms & dry ginger powder to this.
- Cook this mixture till it reaches a thick consistency.
- Add medium thick coconut milk to this & combine well. Let it boil.
- When it attains a thick consistency, add thick coconut milk. Give a good stir & mix well.
- Let it cook for 5 more minutes on low flame & remove from fire.
- Roast cashews & coconut pieces in ghee and add it to the Payasam.
- Serve warm.
- Before adding melted jaggery to wheat, make sure that wheat is cooked well.
- You can increase milk and decrease water used in this recipe for a better taste.
- Payasam tends to thicken as it cools down. If so dilute it with warm coconut milk or milk.
- You can use coconut milk powder mixed with warm water.