A Simple traditional Kerala dish from my Madappalli.
Moong Dal ¼ cup
Big Snake Gourd 1 no.
Turmeric Powder ½ tsp.
Asafetida 1/4 tsp.
Salt to taste
Roast and Grind
Shredded fresh coconut ½ cup
Urdu dal 1 tbsp.
Chenna dal 1 tsp.
Curry leaves few
Black Pepper 1 tbsp.
Red chili 1 no.
Coconut oil 1 tbsp.
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp.
Urad dhal - 1 tsp.
Curry leaves 1 sprig
Red chili 1 no. (Broken)
- Pressure cook the moong dal with turmeric powder. Mash it and keep aside.
- Cook the snake guard with turmeric powder and salt.
- When snake guard is cooked, add grounded spicy mixture in it.
- Let it cook until the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the cooked dal in it and cook for few more minutes in simmer.
- Stirring occasionally till vegetables are tender, remove from the stove heat.
- Heat the coconut oil and fry all tempering.
- Pour the tempering over the cooked Kootan.
- Serve the Kootan with rice. and Rasam