It is raining now, so I thought about Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich with a hot cup of chai. Whenever I make this at home I always to remember my Mumbai colony life. Miss you guys.
Mumbai Masala Toast Sandwich is very popular snack across Mumbai. You will find them at all corners and stalls of Mumbai. This is an all in one sandwich packed with proteins, vitamins, and carbs. This is an
easy and quick homemade sandwich recipe. This sandwich is very healthy and nutritious food for kids as well. Learn how to make Mumbai Masala toast at your home.
OatNut Bread Slices 4 nos.
Butter ½ tsp.
Chat masala powder few pinches
Black Salt powder (optional) few pinches
Black pepper powder a pinch
Mint leaves few
Coriander leaves chopped 1/2 cup
Ginger pastes ½ tsp.
Green Chilies chopped 4 no.
Blend all the ingredients in a blender to form smooth chutney. Keep aside.
Boiled Potatoes 3 no. (Finely chopped)
Tomatoes 1 no (Finely Chopped)
Ginger chili paste 1 tsp.
Boiled Green Peas 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves 2 tbsp. (Finely chopped)
Curry leaves few (finely chopped)
Lemon juice 1 tbsp.
Mustard seeds ¼ tsp.
Hing few pinches
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp.
Sugar ½ tsp.
Salt to taste.
- Boil a potato and peel the skin, and chop finely.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds & curry leaves, and let it crackle.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger chili paste, green peas and sauté it for a couple of minute.
- Add chopped potatoes, salt, turmeric powder, sugar, lemon juice, coriander leaves and mix all the ingredients well and cook it for few minutes.
- When the filling is ready, turn off the flame and let allow it to cool completely.
To Make Sandwich
- Apply butter and Green chutney both side of the breads.
- Put 1 tbs.of potato masala in the center of the bread slice and sprinkle pepper powder & chat masala powder on it.
- Cover with other bread. Grill the sandwich on the stove or electric griddle.
- When toast is ready slice them into wedges or square.
- Serve hot with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
- In Mumbai, traditionally they use only white breads. Here for health reason I used Oat Nut bread. You can use any kind of breads.
- You could make the chutney spicier by adding more chilies.
- To make the above recipe for kids, add very little or no green chili in chutney as well as in potato masala.