Eating a healthy diet is getting more popular these days specially with the rise in obesity.. Horse gram is used for weight loss in Ayurveda medicines. Various parts of the plant are in use by Ayurveda practitioners for treatment of asthma, kidney stones, jaundice, and urinary disorders. Try this simple healthy rasam from my Madappalli
Horse Gram 3 tbsp.
Water 2 cup
Grated ginger 1 Tbsp.
Tamarind a small gooseberry size
MilaghuJeera Rasam Powder 2 Tbsp.
Turmeric powder ¼ Tsp.
Asafetida powder ¼ Tsp.
Curry leaves few
Coriander leaves For decoration
Ghee 1 Tsp.
Black pepper ¼ Tsp.
Cumin Seed ¼ tsp
- Soak the horse gram in hot water for overnight.
- Pressure cooks it with water, grated ginger and salt to 4 whistles and mashes it well along with water in it.
- Grind the pressure cooked horse gram into smooth paste and keep aside.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice. Keep aside.
- Add salt, asafetida, turmeric powder, rasam powder and boil them.
- When the raw smell goes off, add the horse gram water and simmer.
- When it froths, add the finely chopped curry leaves simmer for a few minutes and turn off the heat.
- Finally add the tempered ingredients into the Saathuamuthu.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- If you wish replace tamarind with lemon juice. Add lemon Juice (2 tbsp.) finally before seasoning. You can make this sathuamuthu on Dwadasi Parayan day.