The cuisine of Karnataka includes many vegetarian food items. Vangi Bath or Eggplant Rice is very popular in Karnataka. Vaangi baath - cooked rice mixed with vegetables cooked in oil and spice. Learn how to make/prepare Vangi Bath by following this easy recipe.
Rice 1 ½ cup
Turmeric powder ¼Tsp.
American Eggplants/ Brinjals 1 big size (OR) 6 Brinjals
Frozen Carrot and peas ½ cup
VangiBath Powder 2 Tbsp.(See the link)
Curry leaves few
Lemon juice 1 Tsp.
Oil/Ghee 2 Tsp.
Cashew Nuts few
Sugar ¼ Tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil 1 Tsp.
Mustard seeds ¼ Tsp.
Bengal gram dhal ½ Tsp.
Urdh dhal 1 Tsp.
Asafetida a bit
Fried cashew nuts, Kismish, curry leaves and cilantros.
- Cook the rice and spread on a plate to cool.
- Cut the Brinjals into 1-inch pieces and immersed in a bowl of water to prevent discoloring.
- Heat an oil in a frying pan, crackle mustard seeds, add all above seasoning and fry for a minute.
- Now add the curry leaves and ginger and fry for a second, then add the chopped Brinjals and sugar .
- Sauté the Vangi or eggplant and veggies on medium heat, until it's cooked and sautéed well.
- Add the Vangi bath and fry for a couple of seconds .
- Add the cooked rice along with some salt and mix well. Add more masala if needed.
- Sauté the rice and eggplant for a few minutes until all flavors are combined.
- Now add the 1 Tsp of lemon juice, mix it well.
- Decorate with fried Cashew Nuts .Kismish, curry leaves and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with Raitha and papads.