Mysore is a southern city in the state of Karnataka, India. Closely located to the state capital Bangalore, it is the second largest city of the state. Mysore has also lent its name to popular dishes like Mysore Masala Dosa, Mysore Rasam,Mysore Bonda and Mysore Pak. The difference between regular masala dosa and Mysore Masala Dosa is the Red chutney which is spread thinly over the dosa before the potato curry is laid over it .The inner part of this dosa is liberally smeared with ghee or butter, over which a layer of red chutney is spread and then masala is filled. So, here is the recipe for Mysore masala dosa
Raw Rice 1 cup
Idli Rice 1 cup
Urad Dal ¾ cup
Channa Dal 3 Tbsp.
Toor Dal 2 Tbsp.
Fenugreek Seeds- ½ tsp.
Poha (Beaten Rice) 2 Tbsp.
Sugar 1 tsp
Salt - To taste
- Soak ingredients for at least 5 hrs.
- Wash phova and grind along with soaked ingredients to a thick dosa batter, slightly thinner than Idli batter.
- Allow to ferment at room temperature for overnight.
- Add sugar and salt to taste. Mix well and keep aside.
For Potato Masala:
Potatoes 10 no
Green chilies 4 no
Jalapeno 1 no (optional)
Curry leaves 1 stem
Turmeric powder ¼ tsp.
Grated ginger 1 tsp.
Chopped cilantro 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds ¼ tsp.
Method of Potato masala
- Pressure cooks the potatoes. Drain and remove skin and mash it. Set aside.
- Heat a sauce pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the cumin seed, when it sputtering, lower the heat add the turmeric, ginger, curry leaves and sauté for one minute.
- Add the potatoes, salt mix well and simmer on low for 2 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped cilantro.
For Red Chutney
Oil 1 Tsp.
Long red chilies – 6 no.
Tamarind - cherry size ball
Roasted Channa Dal - A Fistful
Salt To Taste.
- Roast dry long chilies on a hot tawa/griddle with little oil.
- Grind the chillies along with other ingredients to a smooth thick paste using little water.
For Coconut Chutney
Grind 6 tbsp. of coconut with chutney dhal, ginger, and salt. Keep aside. Season with mustard seeds
Masala Dosa Ingredients:
Fresh unsalted Butter
Ghee mixed with vegetable oil
- Heat the dosa griddle/ tawa. Simmer the stove. Pour 2 ladle of batter in the middle of the griddle and spread it in circular way(Spread the batter as thin as possible) Consistency is important.
- Spread 1 tsp of ghee mixed oil around the dosa and cook till reddish at the bottom.
- Smear the dosa with 1 Tsp of red chili chutney& Coconut chutney
- Now put the potato filling in the middle.
- Spread oil with a spoon on all the sides and slowly fold the dosa from one side.
- Once done, remove from flame and transfer it to a plate.
- Follow the same steps to make more dosas. Dribble ½ tsp of butter on top of the dosa .
- Mysore masala dosa is ready to be served.
- Enjoy with coconut chutney and sambhar.
See My other Recipes: