|Zaffran Elachi Pulao|
Pulao is a popular Indian rice dish made with spices, basmati rice and vegetables. In this Pulao I used dried cranberries as alternative to raisins to add flavor, texture and rich in color. This fabulous Pulao is a great accompaniment to any meal. I served this tasty and hearty dish with Raita.
Basmati Rice 1 ½ cup
Saffron threads 1/8 Tsp
Water 2 cups
Dry cranberries ½ cup
Chopped carrots & green peas ¼ cup
Finely minced fresh ginger 1 tbsp.
Finely chopped mint 1 tbsp.
Ghee 2 tbsp.
Salt to taste.
Sugar 1/2 tsp.
Green Cardamons 5 pods
Cinnamon stick 1inch 2 no.
Black peppercorns ¼ tsp.
Fried Dry cranberries few
Fried Cashew Nuts 2 tbsp.
Chopped cilantro & mint for decoration
- Rinse the rice in cold water and remove the excess starch and drain.
- Soak the rice in cold water for 45 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Take a large kadai with a lid.
- Heat the ghee over medium heat and fry the cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper corns about 1 minute.
- Now add the chopped carrots and green peas and sauté about 5 minutes.
- Mix ginger, chopped mint leaves and saffron threads in it and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Then add the basmati rice,cranberries,salt and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered , until all the water has been observed and the rice is done.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and decorate with friend Cashew Nuts, cranberries and chopped cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve hot with Raita.