This is a special dish around Kumbakonam/Tanjore areas. Potatoes cooked in fennel and coconut gravy. A perfect side dish for idly / Dosa and Idiyappam.
Boiled Big Potatoes 3 Nos. (Peeled and Crumbled)
Moong dhal ¼ cup
Chopped Green Chilies 2 no.
Chopped Curry leaves 2 Strings
Grated Ginger 1 Tbsp.
Lemon Juice 1 Tbsp.
Coriander leaves For Garnishing
Grated Coconut 1/2 cup
Fried Gram/Pottukadalai 3 Tbsp.
Green chilies 2 no.
Fennel seeds 1 Tbsp.
Poppy seeds 1 tsp.
Oil 1 Tbsp.
Mustard seeds 1/4 Tsp.
Bay Leaves 2 No.
Cinnamon stick 1 no.
Cloves 2 no.
Turmeric powder ¼ Tsp.
- Boil potato and crumble them well.
- Cook moong dal in a pressure cooker and mash it well. Keep aside.
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned under "to grind" with little water into a smooth coconut paste. Keep it aside
- Heat oil in a kadai, add all tadka items, fry for a minute, add chopped green chilies, grated ginger and curry leaves. Sauté them for a minute.
- Now add the grounded paste and mix well and sauté them until the raw smell goes off, around 5 minutes. Reduce the stove heat.
- Then add the cooked potatoes and dhal and add some water to dilute it and allow simmering for 5 to 7 minutes boil together.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves and squeeze the lemon juice over it.