Karamani is a legume that can be used to make lot of recipes like Kuzhambhu, Sundals, side dish for chapatti . Karamani Kuzhambhu/Black Eye Beans Gravy is a traditional south Indian dish; it tastes great with white rice and ghee. If you are looking for easy and healthy kuzhambhu recipe, then do try this dish.
Karamani / Black Eye Beans 1 cup soaked
Tomato 2 No.
Tamarind small Lemon size
Red chili Powder - ½ Tsp.
Sambhar Powder 2 Tbsp.
Turmeric Powder ¼ Tsp.
Asafetida Powder ½ Tsp.
Sugar 1 Tsp.
Salt To Taste
Coconut oil 1 Tbsp.
Coriander Leaves for decoration
Coconut ½ cup
Fennel Seed 1 Tbsp.
- Soak Karamani overnight, rinse 3-4 times in water and pressure cook with enough water, salt for 3 whistles
- Turn off the heat and let the steam go all by itself. Open the cooker and keep it with the cooking liquid.
- Soak tamarind in 1 cup water for 10-15 minutes and extra juice. Keep aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Grind together all the ingredients listed under 'To Grind' use little water if required. Keep aside.
To Make Kuzhambhu:
- Heat the coconut oil in a kadai, Add in tomatoes, salt and sugar. Mix well and cook till they turn mushy.
- Add in all spice powders and mix well. Now add a coconut paste mix well.
- Add tamarind juice, and bring it to good boil. Add cooked Karamani with water and Bring this to boil, simmer it for 15 to 20 mins till oil separates.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and Pappad.