Uthaappam is one more South Indian breakfast delicacy. An Uthaappam is much thicker than a dosa, more like an American pancake than a French crepe. You can make it soft or crispy, according to your personal preference.
If you have left over idli batter, this is a breeze to make.
Ingredients for Uthaappam
Idli Batter (look down for Idli batter recipe) – 4 cup
Oil - 5 tbsp.For idli Batter:
Idli rice 2 cups
Urad dal 1 cup
- Soak the idli rice,poha and urad dal for about 6 hours, and grind them to a thick batter along with the poha and cooked rice.
- Let it ferment overnight, or keep in a warm place for about 8-10 hours.
- Heat the nonstick griddle over medium heat, and add 1 ½ ladleful of batter in the center of the griddle; spread the batter gently, but quickly with the back of the ladle in to a 8” circle.
- Drizzle ½ tsp. of oil on top and around the Uthaappam. Cook for few minutes until the bottom is reddish gold.
- Flip the Uthaappam and cook for 30 seconds on the other side. Your delicious Uthaappam is ready.
- Serve hot with Coconut chutney and Sāmbhar.