Paneer Tikka is an Indian dish made from chunks of Paneer marinated in spices and grilled in a tandoori. It is a popular dish that is widely available in Indian Restaurants. Chunks of Paneer, are marinated in spices and are then arranged on a stick with capsicums, and tomatoes. These sticks are grilled in a tandoor and the dish is thereafter served hot, seasoned with lemon juice and chaat masala. When Paneer Tikka is served with gravy, it is called Paneer Tikka masala. I made it at home and it came out very well. It can be made in the oven, on the stove top or in a Tandoor. Here I cooked it in the Electric Skillet.
Paneer cubes - 2 cups
Green Bell Pepper/Capsicum 1 no
Tomato 1 no
(Cut Paneer and Veggies into 1” square pieces)
Satay bamboo sticks few
For the Marinade
Ginger pastes 1 tbsp.
Mustard paste ½ tsp.
Thick Yogurt 1/4 cup
Kashmiri Red chili powder 1 tsp.
Gram masala 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder 1/4tsp.
Lemon juice 2tsp.
Besan 1 tsp.
Corn flour 1tbsp.
Sugar ½ tsp.
Salt to taste.
Chat masala 3 pinches
Method For the Tikkas
- Heat the butter in a pan, put Ajwain, besan flour. Roast it till you get nutty flavor. Mix it with corn flour. Add little water and Blend it well. Keep aside.
- Take a bowl, add besan mixture, curd, red chili powder, gram masala, sugar, mustard paste and salt.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil, add turmeric powder in it. Add it to above mixture. Blend whole thing very well.
- Mix Paneer cubes, capsicum cubes and tomato cubes into the marinade mixture. Mix it very well. And leave it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Soak the satay sticks in the cold water for ½ an hour.
- Arrange the marinated vegetables and Paneer on a skewer. Grill it in a tawa/skillet, until slightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chaat masala, coriander leaves and lemon juice over the Paneer Tikka and serve as appetizer .
Method for the Paneer Tikka Masala:
Ingredients For Tikka Masala
Marinade Paneer and vegetables
Tomato puree 1 1/2 cup
Butter 1 Tsp.
Ginger Paste 1 Tsp.
Tandoori masala 1 Tsp.
Bay leaves 2 nos
Salt To taste
Sugar 1 Tsp.
Cream (optional) 2 Tbsp.
Freshly crushed cardamoms & cloves 1 tbsp.
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Method for Masala
- Heat the oil in skillet on a medium heat. Put marinated Paneer in it, and gently stir-fry for about five minutes until Paneer becomes light brown. Take out the Paneer and keep aside.
- Heat the butter in a same skillet. Add bay leaves and ginger paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add the marinated capsicum and tomatoes pieces and sauté for few minutes.
- Now add the tomato puree, tandoori masala, cream (optional), crushed cardamoms, salt ,and sugar ,and cook until oil separated (medium slow flame).
- Add the stir-fry Paneer in the tomato gravy and let it cook for 5 minutes on low medium heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with Pulao, Naan, Pulkas