|Vadu Manga/Tender Baby Mangoes|
I am a huge fan of vadu mango, particularly Kerala’s kanni mango achar. It is very healthy as it is an oil free pickle which keeps well for up to 2 years. This pickle is common in regions of Tamilnadu, Kerala, Karnataka & Andhra. This is a seasonal product. You will get Mavadu only in March-April. Being a seasonal fruit, both ripe and unripe forms take a major place in everyday cuisine during the season. One favourable saying is like this "Maatha Ootadha Soru, Mavadu Ootum". meaning, The mango will feed the food that one's mother does not feed.
Tender Raw Tiny Mangoes 50 no
Colorful red chilies 15 no.(adjust according to your spice level)
Crushed Mustard Seeds 4 tbsp.
Fenugreek seeds 1 tsp.
Asfoetida: 1 tbsp.
Rock Salt ½ cup-3/4 cup (as per your taste )
- Select small, solid, fresh and tender mangoes. Just smell and ascertain freshness.
- Just clean for dirt. Wash the mangoes. Wipe it with your kitchen napkin.
- In the meanwhile get out your large pickling jars, ensure they are cleaned well, nice and dry.
- In a glass jar mix the mangoes and salt and keep it aside for 5 to 7 days.
- Drain the salt water collected from the jar.
- Soak the red chilies, fenugreek seeds for an hour in the salt water.
- Grind coarsely and mix it with mango pieces. Add crushed mustard seeds & Asafoetida in it.
- Mix well and close the jar tightly.
- Keep in a cool dark place. Keep stirring every day for another week.
- When it is done, you can see the color change of the mangoes. When it is ready, use it.
- Serve with Curd Rice. So simple, but truly delicious, an all-time favorite!