Tortilla soup is a Mexican staple. Homemade tortilla soup is easy to make healthy ,and high fiber kidney beans for protein. Tortilla soup can be very spicy or rather mild, depending upon what chilies are included. If you want extra heat, try a chipotle or ancho chili.
The tortilla strips should be added at the last minute to preserve their crisp texture. A squirt of lime juice brings all the flavors together.
Corn Tortillas 4 nos.
Jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped) 2 nos.
Frozen corn kernels 1 cup
Zucchini & carrot (chopped) 1 cup
Kidney beans ½ can
Vegetablebroth (see the link) 3 cups
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Organic Tomato sauce ½ tin
Ground cumin 1tsp.
Cayenne pepper a Pinch
Finely chopped Fresh (coriander leaves) 1/3 cup
Shredded Low-fat Monterey Jack ¼ cup
Fresh Lemon Juice 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Olive oil 2 tbsp.
- Cut the tortillas into half and then sliced into thin strips (Using a pizza cutter helps here.)
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the tortilla strips evenly on a baking sheet. Bake until crisp and beginning to brown, 7-8 minutes. Keep aside.
- Put the frozen corn kernels, kidney beans in the microwave bowl, and heat it for 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a soup pan, add ginger paste, tomato sauce, jalapeno, Cayenne pepper,2 tbsp. of chopped cilantro and ground cumin.
- Cook for 5 minutes, in the medium heat. Stirring occasionally, until thickened. Now add the broth. Mix well.
- Add corn, kidney beans and zucchini & carrot. Add salt. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add chopped cilantro in it.
- Ladle the soup into the bowl. Sprinkle lime juice, Top the soup with cheese, tortilla strips and cilantros
- Serve hot.
You want to make this soup very fast, instead of Tortillas , you can use left over Tortilla chips.