I already posted my version of gulab jamun with khoya recipe in my blog. This jamun are made with milk powder only. This recipe is used in many Indian Restaurants around the world.
Dry Milk powder - 2 cups
Self-rising flour - ¾ cup
Milk ½ cup
Water ¼ cup
Thickened cream 150grams
Oil for deep frying
Almond pieces for decoration
For Sugar Syrup:
White sugar 2 ½ cups
Water 2 ½ cup-3 cups
Saffron – a few
Cardamom powder -1/2 tsp.
Rose water – ½ tsp. (OR) Rose essence – 2 drops
- Take a bowl, Sieve in the flour, milk powder together. Add cream and milk into it.
- Mix well to form soft dough. Use as much milk as required for kneading.
- Make even size small round shapes. Make about 25-30 pieces.
- Heat oil on a medium flame. Slip the Jamun one by one into the oil. The flame has to be sufficiently low so that the Gulab Jamun get cooked well inside
- Lower the stove heat,(very very low heat), and deep fry those balls till golden brown .And keep aside the fried Jamun.
To make Sugar Syrup
- Take a sauce pan, add sugar and water.
- Add the cardamom powder in the water. Bring the water to boil.
- Let it thicken by cooking over medium heat about to 15 – 20 minutes.
- Once the syrup has thickened a bit, then keep it aside.
- When syrup is warm, add crushed saffron, rose water, and mix it well.
- The syrup should be warm not hot.
- Transfer this hot syrup into a serving dish.
To Make Gulab Jamun:
- Drop all the fried Jamun in the warm syrup and let it soak for at least 1 hour. The Gulab Jamun are ready.
- You can store jamun in the refrigerator with the syrup.
- Do not leave the dough for a long time on the shelf, just make the dough when you are ready to fry the Gulab Jamun.
- If you want to make Kala Jamun then let the balls fry in the oil for bit longer till they turn almost black colored.
|Gulab Jamun/Kala Jamun|