This is an authentic Kongunadu (Coimbatore) recipe. It is very delicious and my favorite dish too. It is taste like kichadi and easy to prepare also.
Raw Rice 2 cup
Tovar Dhal ½ cup
Moong Dhal ½ cup
Water 3 cups
Turmeric powder 1/tsp.
Ghee 2 tbsp.
Chopped Tomato 1 no
Chopped ginger 1 tbsp.
Finely chopped green chilies tsp
Salt to taste
Grind the following Masalas to fine powder
Grated coconut- 3 to 4 tbsp
Coriander seeds 3 tbsp
Fennel seeds 1 tbsp.
Red chilies 4 no
Jeera/Cumin -2 tsp
Pepper corns -1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds a pinch
Coconut Oil (or) Ghee 2 tbsp.
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1/4 tsp.
Whole pepper corns -1/4 tsp
Roasted Cashew nuts 2 tbsp
Bay Leaves 2 no
Clove 2 no.
Cardamom 2 no.
Curry leaves- few
Fresh grated Coconut 2 tbsp.
- Wash and soak rice & dhals for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and keep the rice & dhals, keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker, add ginger, tomatoes, green chilies , cloves, Cardamom, and cinnamon , fry for a minute.
- Now add turmeric powder and grounded masala powder and fry for a minute.
- Immediately add in the rice, dhal & enough water (about 5 cups).Add salt & let it start to boil. Check the taste & adjust the masala powder and salt. Put in the pressure cooker.
- Close the cooker & Cook until the rice and dhals are well cooked.
- Let the steam release & then open the cooker and mix the rice gently but well.
- Heat the coconut or ghee, add mustard seeds, fennel seed, pepper corns, curry leaves and cashew nuts and fry for a minute.
- Add the seasonings into the rice. Add fresh grated coconut in it and mix well. Now rice is ready.
- Serve hot with pappad , pickle and cucumber Raitha.