Karasev is simply and tasty savory. I did not have ‘karasev jalli karandi” ( a special holed ladle used for this) , so I used murukku achchu . I was able to get the same effect.
Besan (Gram Flour) 2 cups
Rice flour ¾ cup
Asafetida (Hing) ½ tsp
Red chili powder ½ tsp
Crushed Black Pepper 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
Ghee 1 tbsp.
Cooking soda one pinch
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil for deep frying
- Sieve both flours together in a bowl.
- In a plate, cream the ghee & cooking soda ,very well till the paste looks white.
- Add sieved flours, crushed black pepper, red chili powder, turmeric powder, hing and slat.
- Mix well with hands. Add enough water to get soft dough.
- Heat a oil in a kadai. Keep the medium stove heat.
- Fill the murukku press with the prepared dough using the 3 eyed blade and squeeze it in the oil directly .
- Fry till crispy & golden color. Remove to a kitchen tissue and let it cool.
- Store this in an airtight container,
- Enjoy Karasev with Coffee or Tea
- If you are using Karsev Jalli Karandi, Heat oil & keep the ‘ karasev jalli karandi” above the oil. Rub the dough on it so that long strands will fall into the oil.
- Wash the “ jalli karandi” ( ladle) with water every time after use, so that the rubbing will be easy.