This powder is used for preparing Ellu satham(Elluorai),Ellu Sevai. This powder stores well outside for about a month in an airtight container.
Black gram dhal/Urdh dhal – ½ cup
Chenna dhal / Bengal gram 1 tbsp.
Dry Red chilies 10 no
Asafetida 1 tsp.
Black Ellu (Sesame seed) ¼ cup
Dry grated coconut ¼ cup
Oil 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves 2 stems
Salt (rock salt) as you need
- Heat a pan /wok, and dry fry the Black Ellu. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in wok and fry dhals, grated coconut separately, till golden brown color.
- Add curry leaves and Asafetida, fry for few minutes. Keep aside.
- Add red chilies in the wok and fry the chilies till that color changes and aroma comes out. (Flame should be in low).
- Mix all the ingredients and grind it into a coarse powder. (Do not grind them as very fine powder).
- This powder stores well outside for about a month in an airtight container.
- You can also use this Ellu podi as Dosa Millaghai powder (Gun spicy powder).
Sesame seeds have very high oil content, so it is very necessary to grind this powder very slowly, otherwise it would become very wet when grinding.