Pavakkai Kichadi is a traditional Kerala dish made using fried bitter gourd and yogurt.
Recipe Type: Side dish, Kerala Onam & Vishu Sadya Recipes
Cuisine: Kerala, South Indian
Finely chopped Bitter gourd 1 cup
Thick Plain Yogurt/Curd 1 cup
Grated ginger 1 Tbsp.
Mustard seeds ½ Tsp.
Finely chopped Green chilies 3 no.
Grated coconut 2 Tbsp.
Coriander leaves 1 Tbsp.
Oil for deep frying
Coconut oil 1 Tsp.
Mustard seeds ¼ Tsp.
Red chili 1 no.
Hing 1/8 Tsp.
Curry leaves 1 String.
- Fry the Pavakkai / Bitter gourd, Green Chilly and Curry leaves till it is brown and crisp. When it’s almost brown take it off from the oil and keep aside.
- Grind grated coconut, ginger and mustard seeds to a fine paste. Mix the curd to this paste. Add Fried items into curd. Add salt and mix it well.
- Heat coconut oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves ,red chilies and hing. Add the seasoning to the curd mix. Decorate with coriander leaves.
- Now Pavakkai kichadi is ready to serve.
- Serve with steam plain rice.