'Sambhar', is a balanced dish with lentils and vegetables blended along with Indian Spices. This is the best accompaniment to any South Indian Meal. In Tamil Nadu where sambhar usually has one or two vegetables and the flavors are adjusted a bit according to the vegetable added. Beetroot Sambhar is healthy sambhar recipe where beetroot is used as main vegetable. Make delicious Beetroot Sambhar using this simple recipe from Madappalli. This sambhar can be served with rice, idli, and dosa.
Beetroot 1 cup (Chopped like cubes)
Tamarind 1 gooseberry sized
Green chilies, halved vertically- 2 no.
Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
Salt- To taste
Asafetida Powder ¼ Tsp.
Red Chili powder- 1/2 tsp or adjust according to your taste
Sambhar Powder 2 Tbsp.
Coriander leaves (chopped) 1 Tbsp.
To pressure cook dal:
Water 1 cup
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Tomato - 1 medium sized
Coconut Oil 1 Tsp.
Coconut oil 1 tbsp.
Black mustard seeds ½ Tsp.
Fenugreek seeds 1/8 Tsp.
Asafetida Powder ½ Tsp.
- Pressure cooks the dal with water till it sinks, turmeric powder, 1 tsp of oil and tomatoes for 3 whistles. Let the pressure releases, mash well and keep aside.
- Soak a small ball of tamarind in warm water and squeeze to extract the juice. Discard pulp and seeds.
- Mix sambar powder, chili powder and asafetida powder (Hing) in it and set aside.
- In a kadai, add cooked dal , chopped Beetroots, and green chilies. Cook in low flame till the veggies get cooked fully.
- Now add the tamarind and sambhar powder mixture and allow to boil for 5 minutes in a medium flame.
- If the sambar is too thick, add more water and bring to boil and if it's too watery, boil until the right consistency is reached.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a small pan. Add the mustard and when they pop, add the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the seasoning to sambar and add chopped coriander leaves and close with lid.
- Serve piping hot with rice and ghee and vegetables.
- This recipe serves 6.