Banana plant is one of the most useful plant. No part of this plant is a waste. Not only the fruit, but it's flower or leaf and even the stem!. The stem is cooked in various ways in South Indian cuisine Dishes such as vazhaithandu usli (dry cooked banana stem with lentils), vazhaithandu kootu (banana stem cooked with lentils), vazahaithandu porial (banana stem tempered and garnished with coconut) are popular in Tamil Nadu.
Health Benefits of Banana stems are:
- Helps detoxify the body
- Rich source of fiber and helps in weight loss.
- Vitamin B6 helps in production of hemoglobin and insulin.
- The Banana Stem juice also relieves ulcers, burning sensation and acidity.
Tender Banana stem 3” inch
Finley chopped green chilies 2 tbsp.
Grated ginger 1 Tbsp.
Curry leaves 1 stem
Coconut oil 1Tsp.
Lemon Juice 1 Tbsp.
Coconut oil 1 Tsp.
Mustard seeds 1 tsp.
Urdh dhal ½ Tsp.
Chenna dhal ½ Tsp.
Red chillies 2 no.
Asafetida powder 1/8 tsp.
Grated Coconut 2 Tbsp.
- Wash and discard the outer cover of banana stem and take the inner part only.
- Cut the stem into thin rounds and remove the excess thread. Then chop the round stems into small pieces and put it in buttermilk water to avoid discoloration.
- Heat a oil in a pan , add all seasonings and fry for a minute, add the chopped green chilies, grated ginger, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add the banana stem (discard the buttermilk water),salt and cover and cook on medium slow flame till stem is cooked.
- Add the grated coconut and lemon juice and mix it well. Decorate with coriander leaves.
- Serve with plain rice with kuzhambu.