Nellikkai is very rich in Protein. It is widely used in In Indian Ayurveda Medicines. These are mostly available in winter season.
My mother makes powder of this and stores it in normal temp / refrigerator. The method of making the powder is to remove the seed. Cut it into small pieces and dry it in the sun. When it is dried thoroughly it can be grinded to make it into powder OR the dried pieces can be stored too. Here I used store bought frozen gooseberry. I used to make this Pachadi in Dhuvadesi days.
Frozen or Fresh Gooseberry - 5 no
Grated Fresh Coconut – 2 tbsp.
Green chilies – 2 no
Chopped coriander – 1 tsp.
Curd - 1 cup
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tsp.
Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – 1 tsp.
Hing – 1/8 tsp.
- Cook the Nellikkai in boiling water. Cool and remove the seeds.
- Grind the boiled Nellikkai, and other ingredients except curd. Make like chutney.
- Churn the curd with little water.
- Mix the Nellikkai chutney into the curd. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add all seasonings, till they splutter and pour it into the Pachadi.
- Serve with hot plain rice.