Though I already posted few Sāmbhar recipes, I want to post one more Sāmbhar recipe. This recipe is Andhra style. Andhra Sāmbhar is a very popular recipe. South Indian meal is incomplete without Sāmbhar! So go and try and enjoy!
Tovar Dhal 1 cup
Water 2 cups
Tamarind small lemon size
Turmeric Powder ½ tsp
Red chili powder 1 tbsp.
Sāmbhar powder 1 ½ tbsp..
Asafetida powder ½ tsp.
Coconut oil/ghee 1 tsp.
Sugar 1/4 tsp.
Salt to taste
Brinjals 2 no
Tomatoes 2 no
Carrot ½ no.
Green Capsicum 1 no
Green Chilies 2 no (silted)
Curry leaves 2 strings
Oil 1 TSP
Mustard seeds 1 Tsp.
Cumin seeds ¼ tsp.
Red Chilies 2 no
Curry leaves few.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water and extract the juice and keep aside.
- Wash and cut the vegetables in lengthwise and keep aside.
- Fry the Tovar dhal in dry pan till brown color.
- Soak the dhal in pressure cooker for 15 minutes by 2 cups of water.
- Add sliced green chilies, chopped 1 tomato, turmeric powder, chili powder and 1 tsp of ghee and cook until 3 whistles.
- After 3 whistles, open the cooker lid and mash the dhal and keep aside.
- Cook the vegetables in 2 cups of water by adding salt and turmeric powder. Cook it simmer at 10 minutes.
- When vegetables are half cooked, add the vegetables to the dhal mixture add 1 to 2 cups of water and add required salt and 1 tsp of chili powder into it.
- Now add the extracted tamarind juice into it.
- Add sambhar powder and a ¼ tsp of sugar into it and mix it well.
- Cook it on simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat a oil in a pan, crackle the mustard seed, after that add all seasonings fry it.
- Add this fried tempering into the cooking sambar.
- Now Sāmbhar is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with steamy rice, idlis and dosas.
Express Tomato Sambhar,
Hotel Idli Sambhar